Monday, December 13, 2010

Red Blend, Goats do Roam 07'



Naked Wine Review 62

Wine:Red Blend-Shiraz 40%,Pinotage 18%, Cinsault 17%, Carignan 13%, Mourvedre 10%, Gamay Noir 2%
Producer: Goats Do Roam
Vintage: 07
Region: South Africa
Price: 9.00
Date tasted: 12/08/10
Place tasted:
I was at an early morning gamblers ananomous meeting. The cigarette smoke was deafening and I could not help but process the hypocrocy of the situation. I don't know why I went to the meeting as I have never gambled a day in my life, but I was a little hung over and as it turned out I had just wandered into the wrong room. At least my coffee mug was full of this lovely South African nectar, and I sipped with delight while being regaled with many tales from this new group of fascinating friends.
Serve with: As a breakfast drink I would just go with one of Mary Jane's famous brownies. Normal people would serve in the evening with a lovely dinner of lamb, steak, or roast beef. Appetizers of aged cheddar, gouda, or bleu cheese and fruit would be nice. For desert, try anything done in rich dark chocolate.
Appearance: A liquid garnet that reminds me of the surrealistic inside world of the beautiful blood orange.
On the snoot: Fur, snow, and pipe smoke, twisting and curling around a sacred fig tree.
Taste: Rich black current, tar, leather, and spice that harden the nipples and get the juices flowing. He brings forth tiny naked clusters of tannin to chew on as he seductively pitches woo the the sensitive and receptive palate. Oh yeah, he can show you a good time. With his long, well endowed, heady finish, he will leave you wrapped in the loving embrace of a most charming and elegant afterglow.
Balance: As firm, buff, and focused as an ancient warrior. I'm really going to miss him when he's gone.
Comments: It's a very sexy man of a wine, who kinda has that whole bad boy thing workin' for him. Of course, I could not resist his charm, even if he did just love me and leave me once already. You should have seen me doing the happy dance at the supermarket when I saw him again. If you happen to find any of this anywhere, buy it up. Buy it ALL up... and then send it to me. Thanks.


NOTE: The 2008 Goats do Roam is a very beautiful wine. That said, it does not contain the Pinotage grape and will not taste the same as the previous years. There is however a wonderful Pinotage/Shiraz blend from the Goats do Roam folks called, Goats in Villages. I highly recommend you try both of these.


Rating: 3.8 stars