Monday, June 4, 2012

Santa Julia Malbec 10'


Naked Wine Review 98
Wine: Malbec
Producer: Bodega Santa Julia
Vintage: 10'
Region: Argentina>Mendoza
Price: 9.00
Date tasted: 6/3/11
Place tasted: I was leaping naked through a field of lavender when I remembered I had a bottle of Malbec waiting patiently in my picnic basket down by the lake. As I settled into a gentle stillness of body and spirit I sipped at the wine and thought about all the many times I had not done this before. 
Served with: Mendoza Style Empanadas from the Olivia-Quiroz family. The bottle says good with steaks, burgers, firm cheeses, and pastas with red sauces. Sounds right to me. 
Appearance: Silky muted ruby with amber edges. He's a sexy, masculine man of a wine. 
On the snoot: Aromas of bright red Argentine paint berries and spring wildflowers growing near a bramble patch. It's so pretty and pheromonal, I was in love before the first taste. 
Taste: Dry & juicy; a very promising beginning. Big plum and blackberry tempered with old leather and pipe tobacco fill the mouth with most satisfying extension and girth. Velvety tannins stroke the palate through a long echoing finish that goes on and on, never turning to sour or losing its 'juiciness'. Enjoy right up to the moment you move on to the next sip of divine ecstasy. 
Balance: Well balanced, toned and lean. More on the acid side, very food friendly. 
Comments: Be careful who you drink this with as the aphrodisiac  qualities are quite overwhelming. I'm just sayin'......
Rating: 3.8 hard tipsys