Thursday, September 5, 2013

Campo Viejo Tempranillo 10'


Naked Wine Review 128

Wine: Tempranillo
Producer: Campo Viejo
Vintage: 10'
Region: Spain>La Rioja>Rioja
Price: 12.00
Date tasted: Quite a while ago.
Place tasted: I had been stuck in a time loop all day which threw me into a continuous deja vu experience. I remember you saying that before. The cat stretched that way just before she puked…before. I stubbed my toe on that thing(#@!$*)before, and on and on. There was a naked dancing lady just out of the corner of my eye that would disappear every time I turned to look directly at her.  Where'd she go? Where'd she go?
So when I finally was able to pull myself from the loop, a calm glass of wine and nice steak dinner made for a grounding evening and helped to keep my focus in present time. 'Be here now', it's still a good thing to practice.
Served with: Grilled steak & spaghetti squash with pesto. Good with grilled red meats, roasts, red sauced pasta dishes and bold flavors in general. A very tasty and versatile wine. 
Appearance: She's dressed in a deep velvet ruby gown. Leggy and viscous yet light on her feet, she practically dances around the glass.
On the snoot: Powerful, exceptional snoot featuring rose petals, creosote & wood, dusted with cocoa.
Taste: Upon impact a gentle yet firm oaky, tar, smoke, and spice combine with cassis and some unidentified red fruit. She's complex and delightful to ponder. Chewy, sticky tannins keep the palate interested and involved throughout a long meaty and satisfying finish.
Balance: Nice n' dry with lots of chewy tannin. No residual sugar; more acid & alcohol forward so let her breathe and warm for a while before drinking. 
Comments: I have nothing more to say about the wine so I leave you with this quote from Mahatma Gandhi , “First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win.” 
Here's to you, cheers!

Rating: 3.7 tipsys